Re: Support Existing Content

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:20:48 -0700
Cc: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, W3C List <public-html@w3.org>, "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
To: Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com>

On May 1, 2007, at 8:13 AM, Gareth Hay wrote:

> On 1 May 2007, at 15:42, Laurens Holst wrote:
>> What’s different from your ideas is that the difference lies not
>> in forcing people into a new model if they want to use HTML5
>> features, but still produce HTML content. This is e.g. very
>> relevant for existing systems (that is, all systems that are
>> existing now), where people want to add functionality without
>> being forced into producing 100% well-formed XML content.
> I think this is the crux of the discussion.
> We both think the end point will be the same, but we arrive there
> by two opposing methods.
> In my reckoning, people will always choose the easiest path. If
> they write tag soup now, they will do so for HTML5 should it render
> and 'get the job done'.
> By forcing some kind of checking we are educating these users that
> they are doing it wrong, if they want to use new html5 features
> they *need* to learn about it. Otherwise they carry on writing
> html4 tag soup.

If writing nonconforming content is easier, then why is writing
conforming content? Can we articulate the advantages in a way that
will be convincing to content authors? If not, then what is the
point? This is a serious question. Your messages all seem to assume
that "valid" content is an end in itself, but surely, specific markup
techniques are the means to achieving some practical goals.

Personally I think writing conforming content does achieve practical
goals, and we can continue to make those clear to authors and provide
them with easy access to conformance checking.