Re: Support Existing Content

On 30 Apr, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>> Neither "ignores" nor "overrides", and equally not "blindly
>> accepts", but rather "considers" in the light of other input,
>> then rules accordingly.
>
> Well great, that's exactly what we are doing. It so happens that
> representatives of the browser vendors are often domain experts with

  No, that's not what you are doing. People /are/ giving input and all I
  see being done is that input being belittled.

  Experts exist outside the organisations of browser vendors. And not
  all of us agree with the very /direction/ this is taking.

> Please reconsider your tone and try to engage in this process
> politely and with reasoned arguments. Assuming bad faith on the part
> of all browser vendors collectively (who, after all, showed up here
> to engage in the standards process) is unlikely to be very persuasive.

  Excuse me, but that is quite a condescending and childish comment, and
  personally I find it unbecoming.

> But "valid" is exactly what someone chooses it to mean. Why is it
> that omitting the </P> close tag is valid HTML, but omitting </PRE>

  Yes. And, imnsho, the direction the HTML WG seems to be taking
  includes making the /wrong/ decision about what is, and isn't valid.

  HTML as a presentation language is not practical, for instance. We,
  that is topic experts, do show up here to engage in the standards
  process and you might show us the courtesy of listening.

--
 -       Tina Holmboe                           Greytower Technologies
       tina@greytower.net                      http://www.greytower.net