Re: Adding attributes to elements Generically (was Let every element have a src attribute)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 04:23:38 +0200, Mike Schinkel
<w3c-lists@mikeschinkel.com> wrote:

> Since I've had experience being told "No" when I've asked for attributes
> to be added to elements to facilitate semantic markup, I'd like to ask
> if this list is specific to hyperlink or more general in nature. And if
> the latter, I'd really like to hear an elaboration as to why for #1 and
> #2 along with more elaboration.

I think there's lines to be drawn somewhere between definitions of
"semantic", "functional", "hypertext" and "content inclusion". I'm not
exactly sure where those lines should be drawn, but there is definately a
difference between 'src' and 'href', which can be placed in the "content
inclusion" and "hypertext" baskets.

While attributes as 'rel' and 'role' usually just facilitates semantics,
attributes like 'src' facilitates semantics, functionality as well as
content inclusion and as such are much higher hanging apples than the
others. That's why implementors are so hesitant to agree with their
inclusion in the standard, I believe.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no