Re: New requirement - Simplifying Meta Data Profile

On Mar 28, 2007, at 11:28, Laurens Holst wrote:

> p.s. Note that personally I think we could introduce the <h>,
> <separator> and <l> elements in HTML5 as well, achieving backwards
> compatibility through the same means.

  * The HTML5 outline algorithm enables <h>-like usage with the
existing HTML heading elements. The idea from XHTML 2.0 has been
taken into account in a way that yields a well-defined result when
mixed with traditional <h1>–<h6> usage.

  * The HTML5 <hr> elements has, for practical purposes, the same
semantics as XHTML 2.0 <separator>, but <hr> is backwards-compatible.

  * Although <br> isn't theoretically as pure as <l>, it covers the
use cases well enough in a backwards-compatible way. The achievable
marginal benefit does not seem to justify the cost here.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi