Re: let's have an HTML WG teleconference Thu, 29 March

On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 03:04 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > ... It says:
> >
> > "If you see any reason that this teleconference shouldn't happen at all,
> > please put it in a comment."
> >  -- http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/tel29mar/
>
> Sure... it would be nice if we could see a tally of simple "yes" vs "no"
> results for whether we want a telecon at all, though. Surely adding a
> simple yes/no question would not be difficult. Could we add one?

I'm happy to take advice in the comments field, but I don't
have any use for single-bit "no, I prefer that the WG not
hold a teleconference this week" answers. Even if there
are more "no" answers than "yes" answers, the people
who give "yes" answers are likely to make for a useful meeting.

> > And it doesn't assume that a telecon is a good idea; it's
> > explicit about my reasons for calling one...
> > "It seems we have enough agenda topics and issues[1] to merit a
> > teleconference."
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/il16
>
> Sure, but this assumes that calling a teleconference is a good thing,
> which, it would seem, is a matter of opinion. Some people might argue that
> no amount of agenda topics would merit a teleconference.

They are welcome to make such arguments. Perhaps they will persuade
me to change my opinion. I'll let you all know by T-24 hours, when
the agenda (or cancellation notice) is due.

But currently, after the recent email blizzard, and with
XTech representing a rare opportunity to get together face-to-face
but also quite an organizational challenge as far as
a WG face-to-face meeting, I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that
a teleconference is worthwhile.

As I wrote when I announced the agenda/issues list,
I think periodic reconciliation rituals are very
important to keep email work effective...

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 16:22 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>    http://www.w3.org/html/wg/il16
>
> I'm used to the combination of a mailing list and a
> weekly teleconference. Once a week, the chair prepares
> an agenda that carries over a few things from last week,
> plus picks up some of the new threads that don't seem
> to be taking care of themselves in email. If you weren't
> satisfied with the response you got by email, you can show
> up at the teleconference and clarify or try to raise the
> priority. If you couldn't read all the mail that went
> on that list, you can at least look at the agenda to see
> what the high priority things are.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E