RE: brainstorming -- SVG

At Fri 3/23/2007 2:24 PM

________________________________

thanks to Henri Sivonen [mailto:hsivonen@iki.fi] for writing:

>On Mar 23, 2007, at 05:19, Dailey, David P. wrote:

>> 1.  SVG - there just has to be a way for HTML and SVG to coexist in
> the
> same document space without nasty problems. HTML and VML coexist quite
> happily (albeit in one browser only). Not understanding all the gears
> and torque and hydrodynamics, our inability to sprinkle SVG into HTML
> inline consistently across browsers, seems rather silly to me.

>In the WHATWG context, there has been interest in adding SVG and
MathML to text/html.

>http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/11/24/Feedback-on-XHTML
>http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/12/05/HOWTO-Embed-MathML-and-
>SVG-into-HTML4

>Personally, I think the parsing algorithm should be amended to put
>subtrees rooted at <svg> and <math> into the SVG and MathML
>namespaces, respectively.

That would make me very happy.

>> 5.  SMIL is a good technology

>http://annevankesteren.nl/2006/03/smil

Okay, I did not realize things were so messy. (Ick!) Let me back-peddle a bit. SMIL is a good idea. At least part of its implementation within SVG is something the HTML community could benefit from. Thanks for letting me know a bit more of the background here. I'll hope to come up with a bit more concreteness to this notion later today. (I will also be a bit more careful when I refer to SMIL as a W3C recommendation, in the future.)

>> 7.  [patent of <canvas>]
>Apple's statement said, translated to non-lawyer English, that they
>wouldn't become a problem if this WG adopts <canvas>. Please re-read
>Apple's statement.

Oh... good! I like <canvas> better already. How nice it would be to have a legalese-to-English translator. I read the patent claim exactly backwards from its apparent meaning.

Some sort of client-side graphics is crucial to be able to create "web applications." I'll try to comment further on my syntactic issues (#6) pertaining to <canvas> and <svg> later today.

cheers,

David Dailey