Re: Doctypes and the dialects of HTML 5

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> See the WHATWG FAQ I pointed to in my previous post.  The DOCTYPE is
> required for HTML due to DOCTYPE sniffing, but it is optional in XHTML
> because there is no DOCTYPE sniffing and serves no purpose.

If !DOCTYPE is required for HTML then it should allow specifying public
identifier. Otherwise you will not be able to generate HTML5 by XSLT --
in XSLT you can either omit <!DOCTYPE completely or output it with
public/system identifier(s):

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-HTML-Output-Method

In XSLT you are not able to output just:

<!DOCTYPE html>

This is serious limitation of HTML5 as amount of content produced by
XSLT is enormous. <!DOCTYPE html> should be either optional, or it
should be possible to specify something like <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "...">.

 OASIS DocBook TC member, W3C Invited Expert, ISO/JTC1/SC34 member
 Want to speak at XML Prague 2007 => http://xmlprague.cz/cfp.html