From: public-html-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of David Dailey
Sent: 23 March 2007 14:37
To: public-html@w3.org
Cc: 'Chris Wilson'
Subject: Re: Leading the Forefront - with IRC ! ?

At 06:38 AM 3/23/2007, Gavin Pearce wrote:
>IRC and an old school mailing list? We must be able to find a better way to
>put together something as major as we're working on!
>
>It's too hard to organize ideas for everyone to look at them, we need a
>forum, a more up-to-date mailing list, an online chat service, online
>brainstorming, an ideas board, work in progress etc etc ...

I concur. Like ideas, discussions tend to be distinctly non-linear,
nor even tree-shaped (library taxonomies notwithstanding). A full
fledged graph-theoretic tool that allows branching and convergence of
threads (as well as visualizations of the proximities between
threads) is the sort of thing that would be appropriate. As I
mentioned, Image and Meaning (IIC at Harvard) is looking into things
like that. If somebody knows of something that already exists, it
would be handy cause then we wouldn't have to build it. Campfire does
look interesting http://www.campfirenow.com/ and the other thing I
know of (with a more visual than textual component) is
http://www.conceptshare.com/ . Here's a picture of something like
what I mean (drawn in SVG):
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/graphs30.svg

It all depends on one's definition of "brainstorming," I suppose.
There seem to be multiple concepts of that floating about. I've
already offered my opinion of IRC.

David Dailey