Re: what must be done to expose longdesc? [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:00:18 +0100
To: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Maurice Carey <maurice@thymeonline.com>, HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org

Jason White wrote:
> The main problem with this proposal is that in processing the value of ALT,
> the user agent would have to determine whether it is a URI, then retrieve the
> associated resource if so, otherwise render the text of the attribute value.
> This would also leave the value of ALT syntactically unconstrained, whereas
> with a LONGDESC attribute, the syntax can be checked to ensure that it is a
> URI.

The difference in datatypes would be an issue alright (cheers, Gez ;-))

The two attributes do serve different purposes so they should probably
be retained as separate entities for that reason.

It was just a thought, and my main concern was reducing the load on the
end user.

<foodchain>
<id ="user">
<id ="author">