Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:36:53 -0500
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, John Foliot <foliot@wats.ca>, "'Gregory J.Rosmaita'" <oedipus@hicom.net>, 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: Gijs Kruitbosch <gijskruitbosch@gmail.com>

On Jun 26, 2007, at 6:36 AM, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
> <snip>
>>> can expose the ability to enter the appropriate role perhaps from
>>> either a
>>> dropdown list of standard roles, or with the added ability to
>>> "custom"
>>> create.  We currently have *today* (on my cow path of life)
>>> WYSIWYG editors
>>> that allow similar functionality with CSS.
>> WYSIWYG editors then
>> I still find it curious how accessibility experts have faith in
>> authoring software gaining all manner of features while at the
>> same time assuming explicitly or implicitly that AT will be more
>> or less frozen to its current state.
> <snip>
> [... ].
> In this case, attributes which can be applied to versatile elements
> are a better solution than separate elements with limited
> functionality for every possible semantic the WG can think of
> (which I'm sure will be a lot). As Aaron also said, having builtin
> functionality will be good. Go for it. But don't stop authors from
> making their own creations (which are just a little more weird/
> pretty/versatile than the things the WG thought of) accessible.

One idea that comes to mind from this discussion is that the new AT
related elements (like <progress>) might be defined in terms of @role
by indicating what the @role value would be by default (and
cautioning that it should not be changed except in rare circumstances
etc.). I think this would raise awareness about @role and demonstrate
its proper use. Its this type of default usage that helps authors
understand and properly extend these facilities.

Take care,