Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 03:21:39 -0500
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>, Monika Trebo <mtrebo@stanford.edu>, "Gregory J.Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org
To: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>

> On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> <object data="foo.mpeg" alt="A kitten playing with yarn."></object>
>> <object data="foo.mpeg">A kitten playing with yarn.</object>
>>
>> Doesn't look abbreviated to me.
>>

> I might be wrong here, but I suspect you created your example so
> that their would be no difference between the @alt content and the
> fallback content. While that's a nice example, my point was that we
> might want to think through whether that is always the case (in
> which case @alt is not needed on the modern elements) or whether we
> need to provide different mechanisms for these (possibly) different
> semantics (@alt as an abbreviated alternate to non-text media and
> fallback for non-text media).

Perhaps I should provide an alternative example just to illustrate
what I'm trying to say.

<object
	data="foo.mpeg"
	alt="My kitten fluffy playing with yarn."
	title="fluffy playing with yarn"
  > Fluffy, still only a few inches tall, is playing with a red ball
of yarn that has to 3 times her size. She has just fallen on her back
and it looks like the ball of yarn is crushing her. But she's really
just having fun. </object>

Do the two character strings look different to you in this example?

Take care,
Rob