Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 01:20:04 -0700
Cc: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>, Monika Trebo <mtrebo@stanford.edu>, "Gregory J.Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org
To: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>

On Jun 26, 2007, at 1:12 AM, Robert Burns wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> <object data="foo.mpeg" alt="A kitten playing with yarn."></object>
>> <object data="foo.mpeg">A kitten playing with yarn.</object>
>>
>> Doesn't look abbreviated to me.
>>

> I might be wrong here, but I suspect you created your example so
> that their would be no difference between the @alt content and the
> fallback content. While that's a nice example, my point was that we
> might want to think through whether that is always the case (in
> which case @alt is not needed on the modern elements) or whether we
> need to provide different mechanisms for these (possibly) different
> semantics (@alt as an abbreviated alternate to non-text media and
> fallback for non-text media).

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by "abbreviated". I thought you
meant a shorter way of expressing the same fallback content. But now
I see you mean that you could both have an alt attribute for a short
alternative and full fallback content for a longer alternative. I
think that would just be confusing, personally.

Regards,
Maciej