Re: "placeholder link"

At 10:45 -0600 UTC, on 2007-06-25, scott lewis wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2007, at 0951, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

[...]

>> when you need to read someone else's HTML, seeing
>> <a> doesn't exactly immediately make you realise that it means <span>.
>
> That's beside the point as <a> does not mean the same thing as

Says who? In <http://www.w3.org/mid/op.tuhdlmn17a8kvn@hp-a0a83fcd39d2> Simon
said "We can define the semantics for elements." In
<http://www.w3.org/mid/5f37426b0706250236u6cc7239dye7cb339e0d55b10a@mail.gmail.com>
Ben Boyle says that in XHTML2 <a> is identical in semantics to the span
element.

[...]

> The current draft of the spec provides an example of where this would
> be useful. The reference links currently have gibberish in their
> @href because the section they point to does not yet exist. Where a
> link placeholder element available, the UA would not lie to the user
> (implying a non-existent resource exists) and the HTML source would
> still indicate that the references are intended to be links.

Interesting point. I'll admit this might indeed be a valid use case.

--
Sander Tekelenburg