Re: "placeholder link"

From: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:36:46 +1000
To: "Simon Pieters" <zcorpan@gmail.com>
Cc: "Sander Tekelenburg" <st@isoc.nl>, public-html@w3.org

I agree and as a bonus this proposal is aligned with <a> in XHTML2
where its "identical in semantics to the span element."

It's @href, @rel, etc. that make it meaningful. Omit them and you've
got a blank element (which you don't need to use if you don't want
to). I don't see it causing any issues though.