Re: Choosing name for XML serialization (Was: Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2))

On 6/24/07, liorean <liorean@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the namespace issue is such that backwards compatibility
> requires "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml". Even if we made our own
> HTML5/XML namespace* it would only be an alias for the same set of
> semantics as the XHTML1 namespace. Existing XHTML1 content uses
> "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" and user agents have to support that
> indefinitely.

The namespace issue is a distraction since XHTML 2 is an XHTML variant
but uses a different namespace than XHTML 1.x. That something uses the
XHTML namespace does not make it XHTML. I have written an XML format
for internal use that lets you use elements from the XHTML namespace
but it is *not* XHTML!

This is all eerily similar of RSS 0.9.x/1.0/2.0. There hasn't been
mass confusion caused by Atom not being called RSS 3.0 or RSS
anything, actually.

--
Tom Morris
http://tom.opiumfield.com/blog/