Re: Choosing name for XML serialization (Was: Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2))

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:59:51 +0100
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

I'm in favor of calling it XHTML1.5. My reasons:

* XML serialization of HTML5 seems to be logical continuation of XHTML/1.x.
* It would be baffling if W3C's language, that's compatible with
XHTML/1.x, uses XHTML namespace and has every document containing 'xhtml',
was in fact called something else.
* I don't think there's a need to develop HTML4-based XHTML up to version
1.5, so this shouldn't interfere with XHTML WG's naming scheme.
* 1.5 version rightly places it as successor to XHTML/1.1 and not XHTML/2.
* 1.x naming scheme could be continued in parallel with HTML versions
without making XHTML/2 look out-of-order.

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski