Re: Versioning re-visited (was : mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.)

From: Craig Francis <craig@synergycms.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:18:31 +0100
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Philip & Le Khanh <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>, www-archive@w3.org, HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

On 21 Jun 2007, at 16:57, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>> It's not really clear to me that this is an interesting question.
>> I mean, once HTML6 is out, who cares what HTML5 says?
>
> Everyone who has written an HTML 5 document.  I have been
> creating web pages ever since HTML 2.0 (many on this list
> will have been creating them for far longer), and every
> page that I have validated in the past will validate today,
> because the specification against which it is written is
> enshrined in its DOCTYPE directive.

I agree with Philip here... I have written many websites, and most
(if not all) validate to a specific spec, usually XHTML 1.0.

If the goal-posts move, and there was no declaration of which spec
version I have written to, then without me making any changes, then
all of my websites will become invalid overnight... for example,
because I try to use the @summary attribute on all tables.

Unfortunately, I build websites for a living, and I will not be able
to spend weeks/months re-checking every web page I have ever made, so
that I can claim to always write valid code.

Craig