Re: Choosing name for XML serialization

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 02:27:49 +1000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
>> "Steven: I believe that XHTML2 is more backwards compatible than
>> HTML5, and I plan to make a document comparing them to demonstrate it."
>
> Of these three, I find the last one *is* productive.

That statement of his is provably false.  I wouldn't call it
particularly productive.

(X)HTML5 is being developed with backwards compatibility in mind,
whereas XHTML2 is incompatible with legacy UAs and previous versions of
XHTML by design.

Here are just a few compatibility issues with XHTML2 that I can think of
now:

* It redefines the processing models of some elements in incompatible
ways (e.g. <input>)
* Replaces all legacy form controls with XForms
* Changes <object data=""> to <object src="">
* Replaces the on[event]="" attributes (onclick, etc.) with XML Events

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/