Re: fear of "invisible metadata"

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:46:12 +0100
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-html@w3.org

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Authors should make informed decisions about using the summary attribute.

Agreed, and as it stands authors should be informed that if they don't
use the summary attribute in many cases screen reader users will not
know what the table is for - without a lot of effort and investigation
on their part. Often in vain I may add.

>   If the purpose of the table is sufficiently explained in other ways, then there is no need to use summary.

Thats fine but could you please be more specific about what are
suggesting these other ways are? I don't have a problem with any other
methods as long as it has been proved that they work and these methods
are supported by UA's, including legacy UA's.

Josh