Re: What is a "state"?

From: Henrik Dvergsdal <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 03:52:14 +0200
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On 13 Jun 2007, at 03:16, Ian Hickson wrote:

> The default state is the state you are in when you haven't
> been told to be in another state, or when you have been told to be
> in an
> unrecognised state.

Yes, I think I can agree with that. But if you have specified a
missing value state, unsetting the attribute amounts to telling it to
be in a that state. In this case you are just changing the underlying
situation so that it maps to a different state.

Likewise, if you have specified an illegal value state, setting the
attribute to a value that is a member of the corresponding illegal
value set, amounts to telling it to be in that state.

If you haven't specified a missing value state, however, unsetting
the attribute will lead to a situation where the state is undefined.
That's when you (hypothetically) would bring in a default state.

--
Henrik