Re: Common pool of examples and validation

From: Ben 'Cerbera' Millard <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:18:27 +0100
To: "HTMLWG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:42 AM, Karl Dubost wrote:
> for your tests, give them  (using parts of  [test metadata])

My understanding of cases files is that they should be minimal, containing
as little code and content as possible. Has either approach been proven
useful in practise?

On Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:53 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> [...] file named conforming.txt that lists on LF-terminated  lines the
> names (one name per line) of conforming test cases in that  directory.

I like the idea of doing this in as simple a format as possible. Would
CRLF-terminated lines be acceptable? Newline normalisation is easy when
processing files; there's even a spec for it [2]. But authoring LF-only
lines is troublesome in Windows (which I use).

A test might conform to HTML4; or HTML5; or both. Should each of these be
represented?

[1] <http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/guidelines.html>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-line-ends>

Ben 'Cerbera' Millard