Re: [Fwd: Re: toward W3C Working Draft: design principles? spec? other? (survey)]

bhopgood@brookes.ac.uk wrote:
> But HTML 4 is the only W3C Recommendation that can be regarded as current
> assuming you don't start from XHTML 1.0 Strict, which would be a better
> starting point.

Because?

And if you were to start from XHTML 1 (which is clearly not going to be
the case), how do you account for the charter requirement "taking into
account legacy implementations"?

> If you don't start from HTML 4 then you have to include the 30 or 40
> elements that appeared in earlier versions of HTML and the 50 or 60
> elements that appeared in non-standard versions. We will be here until
> 2100 if we rehash all that old history just because in 1991 some person
> produced a web page using one of those elements and it still exists on the
> Web.

One web page with one old element would not constitute "HTML as
practiced on the web".

> Tim put up a page in 1990 which included a whole set of elements that
> never appeared in any of the versions of HTML. Do we need to discuss those
> as well?

They also would not constitute HTML as practiced on the web.

--
Bill Mason
Accessible Internet