Re: Scoped style element questions Re: Unscoped <style> found outside the <head>

On 04/06/07, Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de> wrote:
> liorean schrieb:
> > I would personally prefer the following-siblings-only scoping proposal
> > to be what we specify, possibly together with a new ::scopeRoot
> > pseudo-element that encompasses all those siblings.
>
> I'd prefer a :scope-root pseudo-class, applying to the parent node.
> Creating a magic range sounds like unneeded complication to me.

From my understanding it's not particularly much of a complication on
the part of implementors, rather the other way around, at least Apple
seems to prefer scoping only to the following siblings and not for
every decendant parent node since they then don't have to reresolve
styles on prior content.
(If my understanding of the way the application of style works is
correct, that basically means removing all already applied unscoped
styles, and applying — in inverse order of specificity — all unscoped
as well as scoped styles again.)
Also, I'm very sceptical of letting the scoped styles apply to the
parent node since that node is part of the outside design. If we'd
indeed want to scope to the entire contents of the parent node and not
just the following siblings, I think we'd still want it to be a
pseudo-element encompassing the siblings that are in scope but not the
parent element itself.
--
David "liorean" Andersson