Re: toward W3C Working Draft: design principles? spec? other? (survey)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:43:24 +0200
To: "Henrik Dvergsdal" <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:38:40 +0200, Henrik Dvergsdal
<henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no> wrote:
> On 4 Jun 2007, at 11:58, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>> I don't think we should assume HTML4 is perfect. The legacy we have is
>> HTML as practiced on the web, not HTML4. It probably make sense to
>> analyse features in that light (apart from normally reviewing them).
>
> I agree
>
> But if we are to follow this literally, we must, at least in principle,
> be able to state the rationale behind *every single feature* in HTML5
> with use cases, research etc. referring to actual usage in the wild. If
> not, what parts of the spec can safely be excluded from such scrutiny?

Indeed. Rationale can be mostly found in the WHATWG mailing list archives.
It has been said multiple times on this list already that somebody
problably has to volunteer and collect it on a wiki if they want it in a
more accessible format.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>