Re: ToolTips: bug or feature?

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:42:47 +0100
To: Maurice Carey <maurice@thymeonline.com>
Cc: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>

Hi Maurice,

> Anyone know what screenreaders do when they encounter tool tips in regular
> applications (word, excel, browser chrome)

Well what they are rendering is only the title attribute, so if applied
in a way that gets revealed to the screen reader they will be read out.
The problem is that with a screen reader like JAWS the title attribute
is not always (certainly by default) read out. The user has to make an
explicit choice for @title to be selected and this also may be
(sometimes) chosen over the alt attribute (if it is present, for
graphics anyway). It again depends on context of use and in cases like
Excel etc I am not really sure how this is done.

HTH

Josh