Re: ToolTips: bug or feature?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:22:31 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>> lachlan wrote, quote:
>>> http://hixie.ch/advocacy/alt-tooltips
... in the end, all hixie really addressed is
>> author complaints, which have far more to do with user agent
>> implementations than anything defective in the markup.
>
> I think it makes sense to think of ALT as text that is usually expected
> to be presented instead of an image, and TITLE as text that is expected
> to be presented in addition to an image or other element. It seems often
> desirable to have different text for these two cases. It might be a good
> idea to display both, or display neither, for some users.

Indeed.

> Given all this, it also seems reasonable for the default setting (aimed
> at the typical user, so normally sighted and non-dyslexic) to be that
> TITLE is shown on hover and ALT is not. It makes sense to offer
> different options to users that have different needs.

In particular, when proposing how to deal with alt, longdesc and title my
proposal did not have the requirement that user agents "MUST NOT" render
them both in the same way. I agree with Ian that in general it is not a
brilliant implementation strategy, and it is a shame that IE did it like
that. But I agree even more with Maciej that there are cases where it
makes sense.

Cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com