Re: 3.4. Global attributes

Some drive-by comments...

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:31:06 +0200, Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 3.4.1. id attribute
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#id
> This section says the id must contain at least one character, but
> doesn't specify any limitations on that character. I thought it was
> invalid to have things like id="1" and id="$"
> I'm used to following the HTML 4.01 rules:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-id - is HTML 5 different?
> What are valid id values?

Any character minus space characters. (Which follows from the definition
given there.)

> 3.4.3. The lang (HTML only) and xml:lang (XML only) attributes
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#lang
> Disappointed that this explicitly requires different attributes for
> each serialisation (but can't offer a solution).

I still think it makes some sense to allow lang= in both.

> 3.4.5. class attribute
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#class
> I tracked back through "unordered set of space-separated tokens" to
> discover that class names must be "words" but couldn't find the
> definition of what was a valid "word". Similar to 3.4.1. (id) I think
> there are possibly constraints around tokens? (This information may
> very well be in the spec, there just might need to be a link from
> these sections so it can be easily found.)

HTML5 does not have such restrictions.

> 3.4.6. irrelevant attribute
>
> Got a few tangential comments after reading this.
>
> Boolean attributes: in XHTML authors would use irrelevant="irrelevant"
> and in the DOM irrelevant = true; (I think some may mistakenly use
> irrelevant = 'irrelevant'; but that probably works anyway).

You can also use irrelevant="" which is slightly shorter and is equivalent
to what <div irrelevant> would produce.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>