From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:08:45 +0200
To: public-html <public-html@w3.org>

(This is part of my detailed review of the parsing algorithm.)

    http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C%21DOCTYPE%20html%3E%3Cp%3E%3Ctable%3E
    http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3Cp%3E%3Ctable%3E

only in standards mode.

Now, as a result of Acid2, Opera does the same as Mozilla, and Safari too
but also in quirks mode.

I think having parsing differences between quirks mode and standards mode
is a bad thing. If the quirks mode behavior is required for compat (which
it probably is), then I think we should always parse it the traditional
way. Doing so would also align with IE7.

Thus I suggest that the first paragraph be dropped in:

    A start tag whose tag name is "table"
       If the stack of open elements has a p element in scope, then act as
       if an end tag with the tag name p had been seen.

       Insert an HTML element for the token.

       Change the insertion mode to "in table".

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software