Re: Why HTML should be taught as HTML without pretending it is XML

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:44:56 -0700
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Jon Barnett <jonbarnett@gmail.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
To: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>

On Jul 23, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Robert Burns wrote:

>  I see that's what the DOM recommendation calls for, I just don't
> understand what problem they we're trying to solve (the Opera
> approach sounds like the best way to go; using the root element
> namespace or perhaps the default namespace as the namespace when not
> specified).

Actually, I think always making createElement() create elements in the
HTML namespace is the way to go, and better than Opera's approach. The
problem with Opera's approach is that cut & pasting snippets of markup
that include script into a document in another language could result
in surprising changes to the script behavior. Using the HTML namespace
removes a problematic HTML/XHTML difference, without introducing the
risk of inconsistency between different XML documents.

Regards,
Maciej