Re: Opening thoughts on WAI-ARIA in HTML5

On Jul 19, 2007, at 8:21 PM, Al Gilman wrote:

> It's no mystery.
>
> Up until now, browsers have had one processing path to the DOM and
> another to the screen with divergent results.
>
> Authors only test for what is on the screen. AT would prefer
> information expose through an API like the DOM, but they can only use
> that to serve their customers if it matches what the
> site/application's other customers get, i.e. what is on the screen.
> So consistency of DOM and rendering is something that belongs in the
> UA conformance clauses if you want to advance the state of AT
> practice in this area.

The DOM can't give you complete information about what is onscreen,
since that is partly under the control of CSS and element-specific
rendering behaviors. For example, things like  CSS :before/:after
generated content aren't in the DOM. Neither are the counter values
for ordered lists.

On Mac OS X, VoiceOver does not use the DOM as the API for
accessibility hooks into Safari. Instead, the browser (actually the
WebKit engine) fulfills OS-wide accessibility APIs, and the
information we present is based primarily on the render tree, but it
also looks at the DOM.

Overall, I don't think the DOM is the right API for accessibility.
Assistive technologies need information that is not appropriate to
expose to scripts in the web page. Also, assistive technologies
generally work cross-process, which introduces new complexities. And
finally, to faithfully represent a web page, you need to include CSS
info, and it's better if the AT can ask the browser how it actually
rendered things rather than attempting to do its own style resolution.

Regards,
Maciej