From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:10:16 -0500
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>

HI Olivier,

On Jul 19, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Olivier GENDRIN wrote:

> On 7/19/07, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
>> The @needsmarks attribute [cut]
>>
>> Note, I used a true/false boolean, but it could be done with
>> traditional HTML boolean. It complicates things, and personally, I
>> just don't like HTML boolean approach (it might need to be changed to
>> a negation of this boolean to work with HTML style booleans and still
>> work on the existing quotation elements).
>
> It could also accept a language code, like needsmarks="fr-fr", in
> order to respect the specific typo needs (&laquo;, &ldquo;, ...).

I could see that as a useful modification to my proposal. However, I
think CSS2 has a better mechanism for that and something better
handled through styling. The CSS solution has not been too widely
implemented and for that reason I could see trying to support your
suggestion in HTML.

Take care,
Rob