Re: extracting semantics Re: Namespace

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:30:33 +0900
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Le 18 juil. 2007 à 19:09, Ben Boyle a écrit :
> I think the burden of proof should be flipped here. If HTML5 changes
> the semantics of an element, any element, that had better be
> justified.

Indeed, or more exactly, refining the meaning of an element have to
be done in a very careful way.
For example, because we were talking about small element. Something
that would make a bit more sense to me would be

What type of information I could see HTML 5.01

   Definition: The small element renders the text in a smaller font
than its environment.

   Browsers: They should support it by rendering with a font smaller
than the …

   Authoring tools: They should not support this presentational
elements. If the use of small is done in the intent of carrying
meaningful semantics, the author should use an appropriate class name
or a dedicated element for it.

Commons 2.0</a>

rel="license">cc by 2.0</a>
    See http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-license

   Trivia: "small" elements has been used to represent sometimes
"small print" (part of a document often describing legal
restrictions, such as copyrights or other disadvantages), or other
side comments.

   Here there is a need of statistics. From my [quick checking][1] on
some high traffic japanese websites, it has been used only 1 on 8 on
the home page. (which is not a serious survey, just to give an idea.)
   - How many small elements are really used for "small print" or
"side comments"?
   - What is the most common way of declaring copyright information?

   About extracting semantics
   * Semantic Data Extractor
   * LogValidator (has been also conceived for this kind of things)
   * Yahoo Search
   * Google Search

[1]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0868

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/