accessibility exercise and design principles (Re: unifying alternate content...)

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:42:22 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org
Cc: "Robert Burns" <rob@robburns.com>, "Sander Tekelenburg" <st@isoc.nl>, "Debi Orton" <oradnio@gmail.com>, "Patrick Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>, joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie, "Leif Halvard Silli" <lhs@malform.no>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, "Steve Faulkner" <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, "Bruce Lawson" <bruce@brucelawson.co.uk>, "John Foliot" <foliot@wats.ca>, "Judy Brewer" <jbrewer@w3.org>, alfred.s.gilman@ieee.org, "Jon Gunderson" <jongund@uiuc.edu>

On 7/17/07, Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl> wrote [1] :

> Have you ever browsed the Web without images, plug-ins, javascript, CSS? You
> go nuts dealing with all the indications of what you're missing, especially
> because the indication refers only to a format. They don't tell you whether
> you're actually missing *information*. The only way to judge that is to,
> somehow, consume that information.

Sander brings up a good point. I encourage anyone who hasn't tried
"disabling their browser" to do so.

EXERCISE:

"Disable your browser" is a exercise that I have all my web
accessibility students complete. The idea is to give an idea as to
what it's like to have access to the web restricted. It is an effort
to aid in understanding what it feels like, and hopefully get folks
thinking about how these problems can be overcome.