Re: 3.11 Lists Review Comments (ol/@start, li/@value)

On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 23:43 -0400, Debi Orton wrote:
[...]
> Given that both the start attribute of the ol
> element and the value attribute of the li element
> were deprecated in HTML 4.01, what is the
> compelling case for resurrecting them?

It's not clear to me that they ever went away, in the minds
of document authors and tool implementors.

Perhaps the "Support Existing Content" proposed design
principle makes the argument to your satisfaction?

"Browsers implementing the new version of HTML should still be able to
handle existing content. Ideally, it should be possible to process web
documents and applications via an HTML5 implementation even if they were
authored against older implementations and do not specifically request
HTML5 processing."

 -- http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples

I'll also contribute just a little bit of research...
a google search for "HTML reference" yields
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/ , and
in there we read...

"The deprecated START attribute suggests the starting number for the
list and defaults to 1. ... While this attribute is deprecated, there is
currently no substitute for it in Cascading Style Sheets."
 -- http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/lists/ol.html