Re: Detecting support for a given HTML5 feature through JS

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:38:02 -0700
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>

On Jul 15, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Hi, Henri-
>
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Jul 15, 2007, at 20:40, Jon Barnett wrote:
>>> Hixie pointed out that you can detect support for certain features
>>> using Javascript [1], such as writing PING as uppercase in the DOM,
>>> and then checking the HTMLAnchorElement.ping property
>>> (lowercase).  I
>>> suspect the same logic can apply to new input/@type values - use
>>> <input type="date">, and then check the HTMLInputElement.type
>>> property
>>> for either "date" or "text".
>> This is the best way because the test for the existence of the
>> implementation involves testing the implementation itself.
>
> In certain cases, this is a reasonable statement.  But it isn't
> universally applicable.  For instance, if you'll look at another
> MathML testcase [1], you'll see the problem.

Testing for the property or method directly is the best way to test
for DOM interfaces (it's more fine-grained than anything hasFeature
will give you) but it doesn't  seem that great a way to test for
implementation of markup interfaces and attributes. However, this is
only relevant for elements and attributes that have a rendering effect
which can't be seen in CSS, or a behavior effect that is not tied to
any scripting interfaces. For HTML5 itself, I think that is a pretty
small subset.

Regards,
Maciej