Re: Compatibility with XHTML2

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:35:46 -0700
Cc: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>

On Jul 15, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Robert Burns wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Smylers wrote:
>

>> However, HTML5 does note:
>>
>>  XHTML2 and this specification use different namespaces and therefore
>>  can both be implemented in the same XML processor.
>>
>> So at least from the point of view of using XHTML5 and XHTML2
>> together
>> they are compatible.
>
> I think that's an error in the current draft. XHTML2 uses the same
> namespace as XHTML1 and XHTML 1.. My understanding is that XHTML5
> also aims to use that same namespace. It's probably best for us to
> assume they will be using the same namespace.

Is there a draft of XHTML2 yet that uses the XHTML1 namespace? The
latest Working Draft I could find was <http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xhtml2-20060726/
 > which uses "http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2/" as the namespace
URI. I could not find any public Editor's Drafts. The reason I ask is
because XHTML2 WG members have on a number of occasions stated that
XHTML2 uses the XHTML1 namespace, in the present tense, as if it were
already true. But this seems to actually be a planned future change.

Regards,
Maciej