Re: @ping attribute wiki page.

Smylers wrote:

> They have the use that a link to an already-visited URL can be rendered
> differently, and thus influence a user's decision as to whether to
> follow it.
>
> I know of a well-known news website which briefly implemented server
> redirection to monitor the effectiveness of various links on the site.
> This was soon abandoned because it messed up readers' ability to
> distinguish visited and unvisited links.

Unless I'm mistaken, that would have happened only if they were piping
all external links through a script and appended the actual destination
URL as a GET parameter. With some very simple URL rewriting, you can
make each link to an external site unique (at least within the context
of the site) and keep the whole visited/unvisited thing working just fine.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/
http://streetteam.webstandards.org/