Re: equivalent content must not be an either/or proposition

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:18:25 +0900
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, public-html@w3.org

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:09:28 +0900, Gregory J. Rosmaita
<oedipus@hicom.net> wrote:

> first of all, it's not alternate, but equivalent content that is
> needed, and for it to be effective for certain user groups, it
> will be necessary to break out of the toggle mindset (load
> images/do not load images) for their need is a side-by-side
> explication of the still image, not a choice between the image
> and rich fallback content

Just to clarify this use case a bit (I will do so on the Wiki as well).
There are many people who have partial vision - which comes in a lot of
flavours. Sometimes they can make out the image, sometimes not. When a
page was designed with a graphical vision in mind, being able to see that
is valuable - but sometimes you also need the help provided by the
equivalent content. The list of reasons why this might apply is long and
involved, but can include factors such as colour balance, contrast, image
detail, position on the page, as well as external features of the user's
current environment.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com