Re: Lack Of Definition Of A Valid Ratio (part of detailed review of common microsyntaxes)

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:43:50 -0500
Cc: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>, Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
To: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>

On Jul 11, 2007, at 7:13 AM, Smylers wrote:

> That's wrong.  Your definition fails to allow these, which the
> algorithm
> accepts and turns into a valid ratio:
>
> * The relevance is 59%.
> * In surveys 8 out of 10 cats prefer Vim.
> * 0.849
> * 3/4

Wouldn't it also turn into a valid ratio:

I would say 9 or 10 prefer Vim.

Or am I misunderstanding a step in the algorithm.

Also I think step 6 of the algorithm:

"If there are still further characters in the string, and the next
character in the string is a valid denominator punctuation character,
set denominator to that character."

should be changed to something like:

"If there are still further characters in the string, and the next
character in the string is a valid denominator punctuation character,
set denominator to the value associated with that character from
table [tableref]"

Take care
Rob