Re: HTML Extensibility Through Script

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jon Barnett
  To: Doug Schepers
  Cc: public-html@w3.org
  Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:04 PM
  Subject: Re: HTML Extensibility Through Script

  On 7/10/07, Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com> wrote:

    Hi, Andrew-

    This seems to have drifted off-topic rather quickly... To refocus, I
    wasn't asking for a way to sniff browser strings, which is a brittle way
    to determine the featureset of the UA.  I intended this thread to
    discuss the possibility of conditional operators, either through a
    script API or (preferably) via a declarative markup or featurestring.

  Is there a use case that isn't covered by DOMImplementation.hasFeature ()?

  For example, is there a UA that would render MathML, and support scripting, but not respond correctly to .hasFeature("org.w3c.dom.mathml", null); ?

Probably not.

But there is at least one UA that will not respond correctly on.hasFeature("VRML", null);  but will render it natively.

    Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

    What are the use cases for loading JS through CSS?  That strike me, at
    least superficially, as a bad design.

  Well, there is XBL, which is a viable method of using a script to add support for a foreign namespace.  But I guess that's not what you're asking.

  And I guess in the case of conditionally binding an element with XBL, you'd use scripting to do the binding instead of CSS.

This is what I really do not understand: what is XBL for?
What does it allow significantly better than things like jQuery or
behaviors.js ( Ben Nolan Simon Willison)
( http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dherman/javascript/behavior/ )

Why for binding scripts to DOM events you need some special
language/feature? Mistery to be honest.

Simply add "behaviour: name-of-event-handler-class"
as a CSS attribute and CSS selectors and script will do the rest.

Is all this still under "HTML Extensibility Through Script" topic?
I think yes.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com