Re: HTML Extensibility Through Script

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Broyer" <t.broyer@gmail.com>
To: <public-html@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: HTML Extensibility Through Script

>> It would be nice though if UA vendors implement some
>> flag attribute like __ua_vendor/__ua_version  for the root element.
>> Such an attribute may be added while parsing DOM tree.
>> So scripts and CSS can reliably use it as a selector .
>
> And go back to "if (navigator.indexOf('MSIE') > 0) { /* it's IE */ }"
> kind of things?

Idea is exactly to aviod need of such robust detections
like indexOf('MSIE') and as a bonus to have something like this:

html[__ua_engine="Trident"] span.some
{
   display: inline-block;
}

html[__ua_engine="Gecko"] span.some
{
   display: block;
}

I understand all implications of versioning but life is life.
In the shed of light of modular design of CSS specification
not all UAs will have exactly same set of CSS features implemented.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com