Re: handling fallback content for still images

On Jul 9, 2007, at 3:53 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> (Note, the tbody isn't only in the DOM in HTML when you say
>>> semantically it is always there in the document, even when there
>>> isn't a tag for it. Yes, this is weird and confusing. But we are
>>> stuck with it.)
>>
>> No, we understand that. That's been much of the thrust of this
>> discussion: i.e., how UAs and authors should be guided on these
>> differences by the HTML5 draft (if at all).
>
> I'd say that authors should probably avoid serving documents as
> different doctypes to different UAs. HTML5 makes it easier to do so
> and have a conforming document,

but it's not a good idea to do that unless you are enough of an expert
to understand the ramifications. (And I meant content-types, not
doctypes.)

Note that in practice this means most authors should stick to the HTML
serialization, unless they are willing to exclude IE users.

On the other hand, there may be specialized cases where the XML
serialization is more useful, even without full support from all the
major browsers.

Regards,
Maciej