Re: Proposal: accessibility revision for the img element...

At 16:09 -0600 UTC, on 2007-07-06, scott lewis wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2007, at 1529, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

[... which came first, the image or the text]

>> "The img element represents a piece of text with an
>> alternate graphical representation." Source:
>> <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/
>> section-embedded.html#alt>
>
> And the next sentence in the spec states: [...]

Yep :)

> Though, I agree, the sentence you quoted is somewhat misleading when
> taken out of context. Perhaps it needs to be rephrased.

Maybe. But it's a sentence that is very relevant to the accessibility debate,
so I hope it won't be silently rephrased. The very fact that it is phrased
the way it is suggests there is a very conscious thought behind it.

IIRC someone asked about that sentence's origin/rationale on the WHATWG
mailing list, but I don't remember if there ever was a response, or what it
was.

--
Sander Tekelenburg