Re: [W3C docs] We should teach by example.

On 7/6/07, Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@royal-tunbridge-wells.org>
wrote:

> DOCTYPE defines the dialect of the language in which the
> document is written;  without it, the document consists
> of an arbitrary mixture of angle-brackets, ampersands, semi-colons
> and prose : with it, the document is an instance of SGML which
> can be parsed and converted into a meaning and/or a rendering.

Actually, most web browsers will gladly render HTML without it, especially
if the server sends an appropriate Content-Type header.

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-doctype (can't get to
the w3.org version ATM)

http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rfc/rfc3986.html#authority

--