Re: [W3C docs] We should teach by example.

Jon Barnett wrote:

Why ? ( * 3).

I pass over these, as we're in grave danger of drowning
this list in barely-relevant debate.

 > Since the advent of XHTML there has been confusion among authors that
 > their HTML must now look like XML, while they continue to serve it as
 > text/html.

Not sure where this comes into it.  I write HTML, not XHTML.

[snip]

 > - DOCTYPE is almost completely useless.  I have been in online and
 > face-to-face conversations where authors think that DOCTYPE will
 > actually DO something in a browser other than change the rendering mode
 > from quirks mode to standards mode

DOCTYPE defines the dialect of the language in which the
document is written;  without it, the document consists
of an arbitrary mixture of angle-brackets, ampersands, semi-colons
and prose : with it, the document is an instance of SGML which
can be parsed and converted into a meaning and/or a rendering.

 > @ shouldn't be encoded when it is separating the user and domain portion
 > of the URI.  It should be encoded elsewhere (which is why my FTP login
 > on a certain server is ftp://username%40example.com@example.com)

Could you cite chapter-and-verse on that, please ?

Philip Taylor