Re: [W3C docs] We should teach by example.

From: Michael A. Puls II <shadow2531@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:06:34 -0400
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On 7/6/07, gonchuki <gonchuki@gmail.com> wrote:
> [1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/diff/

Looking at the source:

1. I don't see any explicit closings for P, LI, BODY,  HTML and some DDs.
2. I don't see attributes being quoted.
3. I see the HTML4.01 doctype being used without the dtd URI.
4. I see Anne's email address in the href where the @ is not
properly-encoded to %40 in the mailto URI.
5. In the css, I see the last property for a selector is not terminated with ;

Those things don't technically matter and it's still proper HTML, but
perhaps for example purposes (and to just humor people that will be
bugged by it since they're used to XHTML markup), things like that can
be sorted out so the source looks as well-formed as it technically is.

For those that have switched over to XHTML markup and have been using
it,  HTML markup like that is frowned upon (by those that don't really
understand), so it might be good to make it *look* crazy-strict and
super-well-formed so there's not a bad perception of the author and
the W3C.

It's one of those things where there might not be a really good reason
to do it, but you should do it anyway.

--
Michael