Re: Proposal: accessibility revision for the img element...

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 13:29:21 +0300
Cc: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>, public-html@w3.org
To: joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie

On Jul 6, 2007, at 13:14, Joshue O Connor wrote:

> 'Fallback' has a rather pointed connotation that it is somehow
> secondary or not that important and for non-visual users it is
> obviously 'primary' content.

Political correctness aside, realistically, it *is* secondary as far
as the *author* is concerned. Or more to the point, the still image,
canvas or video is *primary* from the realistic *author* point of
view. If this wasn't the case, the author would provide the text in
the main body of the content--not as something that is only presented
when something else isn't.

> The term 'fallback' also gives the impression to the author that they
> really don't have to bother with this as it's only 'fallback' content

That's a fair point.

> I would suggest 'equivalent' (maybe we need an <equal> element?).

That will lead to endless discussions about whether content in
different media can ever be truly "equivalent".

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi