Re: handling fallback content for still images

From: scott lewis <sfl@scotfl.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:33:51 -0600
To: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>

On 5 Jul 2007, at 1602, Thomas Broyer wrote:

> 2007/7/5, scott lewis:
>
>> HTML5 is a language with two serializations (I'll call them): HTML/
>> xml and HTML5/html. These are both representations of the same
>> document. Both serializations of a document must parse identically,
>> otherwise they aren't serializations of the same language. There is a
>> simple test to ensure that: take a document in one serialization,
>> parse it, generate the other serialization from it, then parse the
>> other serialization and require the parsed documents are identical.
>>

> ...with the exception of <tbody>'s in <table>'s (are there others?).
>
> Converting this XHTML fragment:
> to HTML and then back to XHTML will produce:
> except if your converter is able to omit the <tbody> in the XHTML
> re-serialization because it's the only child of the <table> (it means
> that you're not just parsing and serializing a DOM tree).

I think you're confusing the serialized bytestream with the HTML5
document. You must compare the output of your parser (which may be a
DOM tree or some intermediary form -- it's entirely an implementation
detail) not the serialized form. There are a number of variations in
the serialized form which are normalized by the parser.

scott.