Re: handling fallback content for still images

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:25:21 -0500
Cc: "Ben Boyle" <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>, "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, public-html@w3.org
To: Jon Barnett <jonbarnett@gmail.com>

On Jul 5, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Jon Barnett wrote:

> I'm adding one more possible solution to the wiki: the CSS3
> "content" property.
>
> While it is outside the scope of HTML, HTML 5 could recommend it
> for an image with rich fallback content if it can be considered a
> viable solution.
>
> Another "con" I failed to verbalize is that it ties the URL of the
> image - which is often considered part of "content" - to CSS, which
> is "presentation".  Using the "style" attribute to specify it helps
> with this.
>
> Feel free to edit its pros and cons.

I too have another suggestion (one that I think authors might use
whether we want the to or not; especially if we don't provide a
decent alternative). Authors can simply use the element <video
src='mystillimage'>,fallback</video>. This will allow them to provide
semantically rich or media rich fallback for their still images
without having to resort to @longdesc. After all, what is a still
image, but a video with only one frame. I'll add that to the wiki too

Take care,
Rob