Re: handling fallback content for still images

From: Fabien Basmaison <fabien.basmaison@arkhi.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:10:42 +0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-html@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:52:04 +0200, Fabien Basmaison
> <fabien.basmaison@arkhi.org> wrote:
>> I've been reading this "conversation" and it seems everybody's got his
>> point of view, and don't see the other's point.
>> To respond to this specific message, I'd say sometimes, you'd like to
>> add some explanations to your image; let's say an URI to the original
>> source you modified, or more.
>
> That is not an alternate representation of the image. That is additional
> information about the image. ;-)
>
> By the way, did you want to e-mail this offlist?

I should have. :)

But don't you agree that an alternate representation of the image can contain hyper links (or even <strong>, or <cite>, ...)?
We're still dealing with HyperText, after all; no matter the place this hyper is placed in.

I agree the context may be very important to the background of an image, though getting redundant some informations available or not in the @alt most of the time, but why "forbidding" this possibility?